Saturday, February 13, 2010

Katie's First Snow Day

Idyllwild is such a special place for us. Bill and I have spent a couple of Valentine's celebrations up there, and of course we honeymooned there and occasionally return to our favorite B&B for anniversarymoons. We love the mountain air, the slower pace, the beauty of nature surrounding us, the lack of franchises and prominence of mom-and-pops, and the interesting people we meet there, like Bubba, who was back at his used bookstore today (we thought something had happened to him when he wasn't there last May) and the opera-singing waiter at one of our favorite eateries.


Bill suggested that we take Katie this weekend to see snow for the first time and to celebrate Valentine's Day in one of our favorite places. I have been so excited about the trip, and we had the most beautiful day.



Although we could see that some of the snow had melted as we climbed up the mountain to 5000 feet, when we got to Idyllwild itself there was still an abundance of snow. Bill and I both had the same idea: we thought that the most snowy place would be in the shady valley by the Strawberry Creek, next to our inn. Plus we wanted Katie to play in a place where we as her parents have spent some special moments. Sure enough, pure white snow, most of it relatively untouched, lay blanketing the creekside for miles. Katie knew that she was about to go play in snow, and she was so tremendously excited to get out of the car. As we walked along the creek with the scent of thick wet pine all around us and the rushing peal of burbling water next to us, Katie giggled and squealed in delight. Several times she said, "This is fun! This is fun!"



I never knew how beautiful Katie could be in the snow and crisp mountain air. Her whole face grew more radiantly ivory and soft while her cheeks reddened with warmth and exertion. She was in her element as she climbed and ran along and stomped and hiked. Her most favorite activity was something she came up with herself: throwing snowballs at Daddy! He was definitely her favorite target and she would giggle as she threw. Of course, we threw some back at her, which made her laugh even more.



We also found an untouched clearing and made snow angels together. In another place, we made a snowman. Bill and I took her to our favorite spot along the creek, and Bill had a loving idea: he drew a heart in the snow and we all put our handprints in the heart together. That is the best valentine I think I could ever receive.



As we walked along, I told her how special Strawberry Creek is to our family. I told her how Daddy and I walked there the morning after we were married, and how, the next year, I walked along the same spot pregnant with her thinking about how much I wanted her. We showed her the gazebo where Daddy and I sat just outside the inn and talked about baby names (we didn't yet know whether she was a boy or a girl).



Taking her by our inn and along the creek and to Idyllwild in general was incredibly significant to me today. Probably just about the best present Bill could give to me this weekend...



After playing in the snow for awhile, we all went to JoAnn's---the restaurant where Bill and I ate dinner on the first night of our marriage. Then we explored the town, played with some more snow, and had a cherry snow cone.



There was more we wanted to do or could have done, but we had stayed for a few hours and we knew Katie would fall asleep on the ride home so we didn't want to leave too late. Katie really, really didn't want to leave. And honestly, part of me didn't either. It was a magical day. To comfort her and myself I talked about how this day would always be part of our hearts forever and that it is good to leave a place still longing for it...and that we would return.



I could have played in the snow with my daughter and my husband all day long. I love them both so much, and tucked away in the little creek valley, I felt at times as though we were away from all the world in a little secret, wonderful place, a place of dreams.

Now for our pictures:

We began the day with a special breakfast: Katie and I made heart-shaped pancakes together, along with bacon and eggs.


Yum, yum! Katie loved the strawberries this morning, especially.

Exploring the creekside valley of snow...so beautiful...


Throwing a snowball at Daddy (if you look, you can see it mid-air in this picture).




Katie looks at the Strawberry Creek Inn...




My snowy little angel....


Sheer elation...she loved everything about the snow...



A picture of snow day when it first began...


Daddy and Katie order some lunch...


A jubilant Katie stands on a tree stump with a view of the snow-covered mountain in the distance...


With my little girl in the snow amidst the fir trees...


Katie bends down to make another snowball...

Reflecting as she looks at the creek. We let her touch the creek, and it was COLD! We explained that it was melted snow from the mountaintop.


Katie's snowman. She wanted a carrot for the nose, but when we explained that we didn't have one, she came up with the idea to use a pine needle.


Snow!!!